Debatepedia is the Wikipedia of debates - an encyclopedia of pro and con arguments and quotes on critical issues. A project of the 501c3 non-profit International Debate Education Association (IDEA), Debatepedia utilizes the same wiki technology powering Wikipedia to centralize arguments and quotes found in editorials, op-eds, political statements, and books into comprehensive pro/con articles. This helps citizens and decision-makers better deliberate on the world's most important questions. Debatepedia is endorsed by the National Forensic League.
The Debate Digest
Our latest and best pro/con articles to help you develop a position on the world's most important issues.
Featured pro and con arguments from this article:
- PRO: Pornography does not count as adultery. Julian Sanchez. "Porndultery." June 19th, 2008: "What counts as adultery is a function of the understanding, explicit or implicit, a particular couple has. Some couples, after all, go in for “voyeuristic gratification” together. So what we’re really talking about is what we think a reasonable modal implicit contract is about. One obvious reason adultery is typically ruled out is the risk of contracting a disease from or impregnating (or becoming pregnant by) another partner, which obviously isn’t an issue here. [...] If we don’t stand strong in defending the traditional definition of adultery as the union of one man and one woman, we risk rendering the institution meaningless. After all, if adultery can mean anything, then it ultimately means nothing."
- CON: Watching pornography can amount to adultery Porn is a "continuum of betrayal." By sharing that private, sexual experience with someone other than one's partner, it is infidelity. In the Bible, Jesus of Nazareth says: “I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”
Recent Debate Digest articles
- Legality of coca production and consumption - July 20th, 2011.
- Ban on sale of violent video games to minors - July 8th, 2011.
- Mandatory ultrasounds before abortions - June 30th, 2011.
- US intervention in Libya - June 19th, 2011.
- Should colleges ban fraternities? - June 15th, 2011.
- Random sobriety tests for drivers - June 7th, 2011.
- Home plate collision rule in baseball - June 1, 2011.
- Child beauty pageants - May 28th, 2011.
- Trans fat ban - May 19th, 2011.
- China "one child" policy - May 12th, 2011.
- Release of Osama bin Laden death photos - May 6th, 2011.
- Osama Bin Laden Sea Burial - May 3rd, 2011.
- Return of Israel to pre-1967 borders - April 30th, 2011.
- Term limits for legislators - April 19th, 2011.
- Seattle deep-bore tunnel - April 13th, 2011.
- Should the US arm Libyan rebels? - April 2nd, 2011.
- High-speed rail - March 30th, 2011.
- Mandatory military service - March 26th, 2011.
- No-fly zone over Libya - March 15th, 2011.
- Military recruiting in public schools - March 11th, 2011.
- Bullfighting - March 8th, 2011.
- Collective bargaining rights for public unions - March 4th, 2011.
See Past Debate Digest topics
Debates In The News
More Debates in the News
Editorial News and Tasks
This section features strong work done by Debatepedia editors. Consider joining their efforts. User Guide.
See Past editorial news and tasks | Follow recent edits and updates on Twitter | See other editing tasks you can do.
Browse through Debatepedia's main categories to explore its contents and areas of interest to you. Go to Debatepedia's Main categories to see all of its categories, portals, and other contents.