Debatepedia is the Wikipedia of debates - an encyclopedia of pro and con arguments and quotes on critical issues. A project of the 501c3 non-profit International Debate Education Association (IDEA), Debatepedia utilizes the same wiki technology powering Wikipedia to centralize arguments and quotes found in editorials, op-eds, political statements, and books into comprehensive pro/con articles. This helps citizens and decision-makers better deliberate on the world's most important questions. Debatepedia is endorsed by the National Forensic League.
The Debate Digest
Our latest and best pro/con articles to help you develop a position on the world's most important issues.
Featured pro and con arguments from this article:
- Coca chewing is milder than caffeine, nicotine, etc Evo Morales "Let Me Chew My Coca Leaves." New York Times Editorial. March 13th, 2009: "Unlike nicotine or caffeine, it causes no harm to human health nor addiction or altered state, and it is effective in the struggle against obesity, a major problem in many modern societies."
- CON: Coca is narcotic since cocaine can readily be extracted. WHO. In 1992 the World Health Organization’s Expert Committee on Drug Dependence (ECDD) undertook a ‘prereview’ of coca leaf at its 28th meeting. The 28th ECDD report concluded that, “the coca leaf is appropriately scheduled [as a narcotic] under the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, 1961, since cocaine is readily extractable from the leaf. The Committee did not recommend coca leaf for critical review.”
Recent Debate Digest articles
- Ban on sale of violent video games to minors - July 8th, 2011.
- Mandatory ultrasounds before abortions - June 30th, 2011.
- US intervention in Libya - June 19th, 2011.
- Should colleges ban fraternities? - June 15th, 2011.
- Random sobriety tests for drivers - June 7th, 2011.
- Home plate collision rule in baseball - June 1, 2011.
- Child beauty pageants - May 28th, 2011.
- Trans fat ban - May 19th, 2011.
- China "one child" policy - May 12th, 2011.
- Release of Osama bin Laden death photos - May 6th, 2011.
- Osama Bin Laden Sea Burial - May 3rd, 2011.
- Return of Israel to pre-1967 borders - April 30th, 2011.
- Term limits for legislators - April 19th, 2011.
- Seattle deep-bore tunnel - April 13th, 2011.
- Should the US arm Libyan rebels? - April 2nd, 2011.
- High-speed rail - March 30th, 2011.
- Mandatory military service - March 26th, 2011.
- No-fly zone over Libya - March 15th, 2011.
- Military recruiting in public schools - March 11th, 2011.
- Bullfighting - March 8th, 2011.
- Collective bargaining rights for public unions - March 4th, 2011.
See Past Debate Digest topics
Debates In The News
More Debates in the News
Editorial News and Tasks
This section features strong work done by Debatepedia editors. Consider joining their efforts. User Guide. See Recent changes for all recent community edits.
See Past editorial news and tasks | Follow recent edits and updates on Twitter | See other editing tasks you can do.
Browse through Debatepedia's main categories to explore its contents and areas of interest to you. Go to Debatepedia's Main categories to see all of its categories, portals, and other contents.