Debatepedia is the Wikipedia of debates - an encyclopedia of pro and con arguments and quotes on critical issues. A project of the 501c3 non-profit International Debate Education Association (IDEA), Debatepedia utilizes the same wiki technology powering Wikipedia to centralize arguments and quotes found in editorials, op-eds, political statements, and books into comprehensive pro/con articles. This helps citizens and decision-makers better deliberate on the world's most important questions. Debatepedia is endorsed by the National Forensic League.
The Debate Digest
Our latest and best pro/con articles to help you develop a position on the world's most important issues.
Featured pro and con arguments from this article:
- CON: Balanced budget amendment undervalues loans and debt Kathy White. "Guest Commentary: A federal balanced budget amendment would hurt the economy." Denver Post. July 24th, 2011: "Traveling back in time is no way to prepare for the future. You meet the future by making investments that will pay off. Families take long term loans to buy homes and pay for college. Businesses borrow to take advantage of modern technologies and more efficient facilities. State and local governments borrow to build and maintain roads, dams, schools and prisons. Denying the United States government that same basic tool would jeopardize generations of progress. Indeed, a balanced budget amendment would be like forcing a family to pay the entire cost of a house up front, or making a college student pay a year's tuition entirely with money earned that same year. At the federal level, unless exempted as Senator Udall's proposal does, it could mean that the Social Security Trust Fund could pay out to current retirees only what it took in through taxes on current workers. Too bad if there are more retirees than workers."
Recent Debate Digest articles
- US debt ceiling deal - August 5th, 2011.
- Obama executive order to raise the debt ceiling - August 1st, 2011.
- Pornography - July 27th, 2011.
- Legality of coca production and consumption - July 20th, 2011.
- Ban on sale of violent video games to minors - July 8th, 2011.
- Mandatory ultrasounds before abortions - June 30th, 2011.
- US intervention in Libya - June 19th, 2011.
- Should colleges ban fraternities? - June 15th, 2011.
- Random sobriety tests for drivers - June 7th, 2011.
- Home plate collision rule in baseball - June 1, 2011.
- Child beauty pageants - May 28th, 2011.
- Trans fat ban - May 19th, 2011.
- China "one child" policy - May 12th, 2011.
- Release of Osama bin Laden death photos - May 6th, 2011.
- Osama Bin Laden Sea Burial - May 3rd, 2011.
- Return of Israel to pre-1967 borders - April 30th, 2011.
- Term limits for legislators - April 19th, 2011.
- Seattle deep-bore tunnel - April 13th, 2011.
- Should the US arm Libyan rebels? - April 2nd, 2011.
See Past Debate Digest topics
Debates In The News
- Debate: Pornography The Playboy Club show on NBC has generated significant controversy for, allegedly, glamorizing pornography. But, even if it was, the question remains whether this is a bad thing.
- Debate: Affirmative action Michigan appeals court strikes down Michigan's 2006 constitutional amendment that banned affirmative action in college admissions, employment and contracting.
- Debate: Israeli blockade of Gaza has been in the news with the attempts of a 10-boat flotilla of activists to break the blockade and provide humanitarian aid.
- Debate: Gay marriage Gay marriage was legalized in New York state on June 24th, 2011. It became the sixth and largest state in the United States to do so, supporting the case for gay marriage and reinvigorating the debate on the subject.
More Debates in the News
Editorial News and Tasks
This section features strong work done by Debatepedia editors. Consider joining their efforts. User Guide.
See Past editorial news and tasks | Follow recent edits and updates on Twitter | See other editing tasks you can do.
Browse through Debatepedia's main categories to explore its contents and areas of interest to you. Go to Debatepedia's Contents Guide to see all of its categories.