Argument: Reasons for reducing the import duty and other taxes in the Phillipines and resultant effects
An Analysis on Duties and Taxes on Contraceptive Imports into the Philippines
- Reduction of fertility rate brought about by increase usage of contraceptives
- Increase in overall family planning effectiveness due to the traditional methods being substituted for modern ones.
- Better usage of public health funds. Those in higher income brackets will pay for contraceptives from the private sector meaning that those less well off can use the public sector healthcare and therefore equity is achieved.
- If transferred to private sector due to less tax incidence on both consumer and producer the government will not hold family planning burden alone.
- Reduction in administrative costs for the government in ensuring VAT is collected.