Argument: Marijuana is addictive
- Debate: Legalization of Marijuana
- Debate: Decriminalizing marijuana possession
- Debate: Medical marijuana dispensaries
- "Marijuana use is currently the leading cause of treatment need for those abusing or dependent on illegal drugs, is the second leading reason for drug-induced emergency room episodes, and has surpassed alcohol for young people in addictive risk and impact on dependency requiring treatment."Dr. David Murray, chief scientist of the Office of National Drug Control Policy. "On the Legalization — or Not — of Marijuana." New York Times, Freakenomics. October 30, 2007
- "In the Netherlands, where de facto decriminalization is practiced (the Dutch Government calls it separation of the market), there has been a 49 percent rise in registered cannabis addicts between 1991-93[...]Cannabis use among students in Holland has increased by 250 percent since 1984.In 1985, Gabriel G. Nahas published Keep Off the Grass, which stated that "[the] biochemical changes induced by marijuana in the brain result in drug-seeking, drug taking behavior, which in many instances will lead the user to experiment with other pleasurable substances. The risk of progression from marijuana to cocaine to heroin is now well documented.""Why Cannabis Must Remain Illegal". Drug Watch International. January 12, 2002
- According to the 2002 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, 4.3 million Americans were classified with dependence on or abuse of marijuana. That figure represents 1.8 percent of the total U.S. population and 60.3 percent of those classified as individuals who abuse or are dependent on illicit drugs.The desire for marijuana exerts a powerful pull on those who use it, and this desire, coupled with withdrawal symptoms, can make it hard for longterm smokers to stop using the drug. Users trying to quit often report irritability, anxiety, and difficulty sleeping.On psychological tests they also display increased aggression, which peaks approximately one week after they last used the drug."
- Marijuana is not physically addict but emotionally and mentally addict.MARIJUANA ADDICTION